Wednesday, February 11, 2009

flames v. ducks: you're on your own, boys...

if i've said it once, i've said it a million times: i'm SERIOUSLY superstitious.... obviously this applies to my jersey(s) but it also applies to the pocketdawg...

enroute to the game on monday, after inhaling a bag of free mystery-flavoured doritos that were handed to us outside erlton station on the +15, i told my dad that i was gonna probably wait to eat anything else until i was hungry for a pocketdawg, reasonning that "we always win when i have a pocketdawg..."

during the pre-game skate, my pops got a pulled pork sammy from the concourse deli and, while it looked insanely good, i opted to hold out. mid-way through the second period during a tv-timeout [and moments after receiving a text from the habs-loving strombo which read, "Say hi to your dad for me :) I wish I was there having pocket dogs (sic) with y'all"] i went and got me one of those bacon-cheddar numbers packed full of cheesy-ranchy goodness....

i was literally about 5 bites in when lombardi (!!!!!!!) got an undenyably sweet and timely shorthanded goal to tie the score. 30-or-so seconds (and about 4 bites) later and dion potted his seventh of the year, pulling the flames ahead where they would stay for the duration of the game...

as the fire spitters erupted and the crowd hit mayhem levels, my dad pointed to the remainder of my dinner and said something to the effect of "good call..."

so tonight the flames will skate into anaheim with a hugely unfavorable recent record on the road (not that the pond has ever been overly hospitable to the flames). with any luck, the win against montreal has given them back some of the confidence they were exhibiting prior to the 4-game skid, and they can pull out a win tonight... but they'll have to do it without me partaking in my arena-treat of choice...

good luck, boys.
;)

5 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

Ha! Fire spitters. I love those things. Last time I was there they were still Enron-branded. Doh!

What the hell is a pocketdog?

walkinvisible said...

1. i believe your memory is clouded re: the dragon boxes... they're enMAX branded, and i'm sure will continue to be since enMAX provides most of alberta with their energies.... cha-CHING !!!

2. a pocketDAWG is the most wonderful arena food ever invented. it's a fresh crusty bun (not one of those stale normal split-down-the-middle kind) that is cored out but not all the way, creating a pocket at the bottom. your condiments are pumped in (relish is not an option: too chunky) and then the best sausage ever (your choice of original, bacon cheddar, cajun smokie, or german sausage) is jammed into the hole.

trust me. it's amazing....

plus, their kiosks have scoreboards over top and, while the score changes occasionally (i think), the visitors are always losing to the pocketdawgs...

Ms. Conduct said...

Augh! But the big E! I'm gonna pretend I was drunk last time I was there. Between that and being from Texas, that should sufficiently explain my mistake there.

I'm digging the dawg.

walkinvisible said...

I'm gonna pretend I was drunk last time I was there.

funny, usually i try to pretend i WASN'T drunk...

Ms. Conduct said...

I'm too cheap to want to pay for arena beer. And I'm too clumsy to deal with stairs and drunkenness.

Sorry about the game. Kipper was off the friggin' hook and deserved that win. Lord have mercy, I hate the Ducks.