Thursday, October 9, 2008

Disaster!

Come to think of it, the Flames do seem to lose every time WI and I get together to watch, so that makes sense.

Outrageous superstition out of the way:

1. It isn't that bad. Although it would be flat out hilarious if the Canucks scored 492 goals this season, and the Flames scored none.

2. If I'm going to stay up till 1:30, it oughta be better than this.

3. Kipper was bad, but not horrible. The Flames' defensive coverage, especially from their centres, on the other hand? Atrocious. My boy Conroy was especially bad, and it hurts.

4. Aucoin definitely looks like the game has passed him by.

5. I'm pretty sure Moss was demoted to the fourth line because he failed to knock in a pair of pucks on the power play. That makes no sense to me.

6.. If the kid wins the anthem challenge, we're doomed come election day.

See you Saturday, when Canada will learn that it picked a crap song to listen to every Saturday night because they thought the kid in glasses was cute. I know this whole Anthem Challenge is a farce, but it's a reality. So, remember: He won't be so cute when he's 18. I'm sure Robert is a nice kid, but pick the better song.

12 comments:

Kent W. said...

Dont say I didn't warn you.

Kipper worries me. But, after this game, Keenan really worries me.

ngthagg said...

Good job on the fast post-game.

#4: I've been defending Aucoin for most of this year, and I feel bad about it now. Comparing him to Pardy, who was playing his first NHL game on very short notice, is very educational. Pardy was sheltered a bit at EV, but faced the Sedins on the PK and seems to have done well.

#5: God, I hope not. But it fits the evidence.

#6: I thought the medley of the five finalists was interesting, because it really highlighted how each song is an indistinguishable washed-out ripoff of the original theme. Hooray for mediocrity!

RobWoolley said...

The new potential anthems sink. CBC botched a golden opportunity with this whole theme song fiasco.

That game was a train wreck. I thought period 1 was ok until I realized the Canucks were sleeping.

Steal Thunder said...

I'm still getting into the whole 'Duncan on Hit the Post' thing...

For half a second I thought WI was back in Toronto after the 1:30 comment...

But yeah, it totally wasn't worth staying up that late for that shitshow...

Steal Thunder said...

And yeah, that kid better not win...

I'm not a big fan of the other one either, but at least the bagpipes are a cool idea...

awildermode said...

only one thing can help this team, and it should have been done a long time ago....retire Fleury's number.

oh, and inform the team that the real season is underway.

duncan said...

I thought Pardy was OK. Both he and Boyd looked jittery with the puck, which makes sense, but Pardy was well positioned, and I love that size in front of the net.

But the D wasn't the issue — it was centres losing their men. Conroy was directly responsible for two goals, and Lombardi's dropped coverage and weak stick-check led to the Bernier goal.

Everything after that, you could tell that Keenan was just throwing stuff out there to try some science.

MacS said...

re: 6

Yep, the guy from Edmonton has the best one.

walkinvisible said...

i will pipe in here, as opposed to posting, to point out that when presented with the "go on a date" or "watch the season opener" connundrum, i chose the former.

thank.
effin'.
god.

i seem to have dodged a bullet on that one....

Steal Thunder said...

Wait, people in the blogging universe go on dates?

Weird... ; D

Actually, what guy would go on a date when there's a Flames game on? : O

And October hockey and the Calgary Flames don't mix, but thankfully the season started later this year...

RobWoolley said...

WI your nerd status has been -REVOKED-

Nerdy bloggers don't date. ;-)

walkinvisible said...

nerdy bloggers just don't generally date on gamenights...

hey, i'm not slow. i know most of youz are married or "married." just cause you have the luxury of staying in, watching the game(s) AND spending time with someone you really dig doesn't mean i do.

[plus, i kinda figured we'd get anhialated... :P ]