Sunday, February 15, 2009

sunday feedback: rearview mirror

last week's sunday feedback poll showed that iginla's 08/09 struggles (well documented this week over at kent's site) have made him the most disappointing in the four-game losing streak and, presumably, the undeserved wins that followed it. iggy took almost 50% of the votes, while dion (who is starting to show signs of coming out of HIS funk) was a close second at 40%. bertuzzi got a couple of votes, i'm guessing due to his penchant for taking untimely penalties. in the comments, other options for "most disappointing" were the team as a whole, and *ahem* harvey the hound, since he's "definitely the reason for the weak road record." no votes whatsoever for keenan, which signals to me that the fans are devoted, now, to his iron mikeyness.

this week has given us a southern three-game roadtrip, on which we deserved zero wins but managed to pocket (pickpocket ???) five out of six points. i like that the flames are showing signs of being a resilient team, but hate that they're quickly shedding the "elite team" status that they were just getting used to... i imagine we'll see a bunch more ugly games in the coming month, and hopefully we can see some beauties as well...

the next flames' tilt is tuesday at home against a desperate vancouver team (though pretty much all the teams in the NW, other than the flames, are in that "desperate" category). a flames' loss will make the pesky (ie: the cleanest adjective i could come up with) canucks visible in the rearview.... a scary prospect, if you ask me....

5 comments:

ngthagg said...

I voted for Edmonton in this one.

Vancouver, Minnesota, and Colorado all have simple reasons for their poor performance. Mostly it's star players not doing what they need to, or star players being injured. I can understand that.

But I never saw a reason for Edmonton to be good this year. Not in October, not in December, not now. And yet here they are, hanging on to a playoff spot over Vancouver thanks to a couple of extra wins.

I realize rationally that if Luongo gets back on track and Calgary loses their edge, Vancouver could get very scary very fast, as you say. But Edmonton scares me in that irrational way: if I don't know how they got here, how can I know where they're going?

walkinvisible said...

good.
call.

Steal Thunder said...

Sundin seems to have found his game again... And Luongo will be fully recovered from his injury sooner or later... I don't think they'll knock the Flames off top spot inthe Northwest, but I definitely think they'll nab a playoff spot...

Steal Thunder said...

So I've recently come to the conclusion that once I've posted a comment, the column is officially done, as no one ever comments after me... is it something I did? ;P

walkinvisible said...

not so. you just post comments a day (or five) later so nobody besides me even sees them.

and i don't even see them all the time... don't worry, ST: we still love ya over here at htp !!!