Monday, February 23, 2009

hate mail to cal clutterbuck

dear cal:

this letter will probably come as a surprise to you, since only days ago i was hyping you as a guy deserving of a rookie-of-the-year nomination. well, you might be the league leader in hits (a statistic, i might note, that is rarely considered for year-end trophies like the calder) but i'm afraid it's this exact skill that has turned my veneration to vitriol.

the news today that mark giordano will undergo season-ending surgery came as a crushing blow to both me, my blogging peers, and my team ---a blow that probably feels an awful lot like the one gio experienced when you lined him up between your speeding body and the boards. even though it was presumeably a clean hit, and you were "just doing your job," the outcome has me reeling.

there is no question that your name and aggressive nature make you a crowd favorite, and the folks supporting your team can't help but adore your enthusiastic style of play... but this time you've gone too far. breaking my favorite player was simply not necessary... especially when that injury will likely initiate the return of the blueliner i most despise...

perhaps the awkward hit was born out of envy; i love gio ever so much more than i ever really cared for you. but cal, there was honestly enough adulation and respect to go around.

where once i got a good giggle out of you and your supporters, i now curse the ice you skate on...

watch your back, mister.

sincerely,
walkinvisible

14 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

Awesome! Good thing my boy has eyes in the back of his head...

And I am sorry about Gio though.

Am I to understand this will require a call up from QC? Presumably one of the better d-men there? Because that wouldn't hurt my feelings.

walkinvisible said...

currently we're okay ---we were carrying 7 blueliners to start the season, so vandermeer will just *sigh* stick it out next to dion, i presume.

any further injuries might mean a call-up of anders eriksson, i'm afraid... this is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night....

Ms. Conduct said...

Ugh. Vandy's a weiner.

walkinvisible said...

and in no way responsible for dion having the worst game of the season on saturday, i'm sure.

right ?

(ugh...)

awildermode said...

you had to get your jersey numbered...

walkinvisible said...

AWM: if you're gonna blame me, don't forget to blame the people who got jerseys numbered 17, 19**, 22, 27, and 44 as well.

**i actually had to look this up. haha.

awildermode said...

i almost forgot who #19 was

Steal Thunder said...

I may have to throw a defenceman into Kent's trade pool as my second pick...

And I had Gio in my money pool, too...

walkinvisible said...

it will be interesting, to be sure.

palin had a breakout year in the A, but if sutter was considering HIM, and not eriksson, as the next call-up i think he should get the call tomorrow and start immediately skating with the big club.

as far as diving into the trade market for a defenseman, i think in another year or so we will have a glut in that department (palin, aulie, negrin and possible advances by pelech). and sutter doesn't 'do' rentals....

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear about Gio. After you numbered your jersey it seemed most likely he was going to get traded, I didn't really consider that you could cause a season ending injury. :)

I still think we need to separate Dion from Elisha, I'm pretty sure she's a Qi vampire.

walkinvisible said...

agreed...

Steal Thunder said...

I'd take her off his hands... ; D

walkinvisible said...

hahahaha....

Unknown said...

Fuck You