Monday, March 19, 2007

livin' the hockey life, dyin' the hockey death

If I was an oilers fan, I would’ve been assured weeks ago that there would be no post season for my team. The loss of ryan smyth was a gunshot wound to the heart, and the greasers keeled over on the spot. The boys from up north died instantly, with no suffering… able to finish out the season like a ghost of their former self.

Unfortunately for me, I’m a flames fan, which essentially means that I get to watch a once formidable team crumble and weaken in an agonizingly slow & painful death. It’s as though the've been diagnosed with some god-awful disease, and are struggling and fighting to overcome it… but I’m afraid the prognosis is bad, my friends. And it is nearly time to start preparing for a funeral…

To state the obvious, what was once a push to win the NW is now do-or-die every single night, just to continue past the 82nd game. With Colorado lurking in the shadows like the reaper, ready and able to deliver the final blow, it seems that Calgary may have already turned towards the light. And I’ll be honest: I’m not sure I want them to heal. A huge part of me just wants the pain to stop, and allow a euthanized group to stumble into heaven (aka: the fairways).

Tomorrow we will see the boys go up against one of the best in the league. And while Detroit may be so lucky to face the flames in the first round (I would imagine the avs to be a much more frightening nemesis), they will not easily give up the two points. It is much more likely that the flaming C’s will just roll over and die.

Depressing ?
Kindof....

Premature ?
sure....

let's just say i'm not getting my hopes up... but a non-playoff season, for this group, will surely lead to both player and coaching changes. it's not over yet, but i must admit i like the prospect of the impending 07/08 season with a new-look team. though i really thought this was the year to make a good run...

rest in peace, amonte/noodles/playfair era…

4 comments:

Jason said...

It's starting to sound like a Blues blog around here. ;)

Kent W. said...

haha, as are many other Flames blogs...

I haven't quite given up yet...but should they lose the next two, I think that'll be all she wrote.

walkinvisible said...

should they lose the next two

uhhhhh.... you are aware that the next two are detroit and nashville, right ? sure there's an off chance we'll win buuuuut..... :(

leanne said...

Buuuuuut? :)

I'm going to pretend that I had enough faith in them to know that they didn't need me breathlessly following the game to win vs. Nashville.